Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pay it Forward

I was downtown today by Spadina and Queen when five girls approached me as I was waiting for the light at the corner. In all honesty I thought they were promoting Sick Kids donations or something along those lines, so naturally (don't act like you wouldn't either) I tried to avoid them and not make eye contact. One girl ultimately puts a hand on my shoulder to get my attention and I think to myself, This is it. She's going to cute-talk me into emptying my bank account to sponsor a less fortunate kid in Africa named Majumbo. Instead, she gives me this:

And smiles and tells me, "Have a great day." How odd. My first thought was I'll be blogging about this tonight and this was followed by a sudden awareness that the people waiting around me at the corner had also received a variety of Canadian-logoed apparel. I didn't think much of this free gift as I was walking, I just held it in my hand until I got on the streetcar. While sitting down I examined this white cap, which peculiarly resembles the baker hat I used to wear at Tim Hortons, and I noticed the message on the front end of it:


Now I'm a fair guy. When someone gives me something and says pay it forward, I will. But, how do I do it? I'm not going to give this hat to someone else am I, the purpose of the gift is entirely lost. On top of that, I didn't ask for the gift. In fact, I didn't even ask to be a part of your "pay-it-forward" chain, so I can choose to break your chain right now instead of frantically looking for another good deed to do to someone else. But, I am a fair guy, so I will keep your chain going. I will keep the hat! But your chain will go on.
I believe in karma. In fact I didn't know I believed in it until I met this librarian last month. You see, at a certain building on the UofT campus all the exits are guarded by those security systems that get set off when you've stolen an item. Unfortunately I always beep because my laptop has a sticker on it (which I have yet to find) that triggers the alarm, and when it beeps the doors shut immediately, preventing your exit. It's like walking into a wall; not only do they beep like a car alarm gone awry, they shut so that you faceplant yourself into them. Anyways, predicting the outcome of my exeunt of said building, I told the librarian to take my laptop and hand it to me on the other side of the security system or else it would ring and everyone would stare at me, the deer caught in the headlights. So I approach the desk, give this guy the laptop and he hands it to me after I escape the clutches of grand, metallic bouncers and he tells me, "Thanks for being honest, "...I don't know, don't ask..."You could have stolen all the books you wanted but frankly I believe in karma so it would come back to you." This wasn't meant as an insult, I would have disfigured his face if it was, this was more of a conversational preaching. We both kindly bid each other adieu and I thought to myself Hey, I believe in that shit too!
So if I break this chain I will suffer the consequences of my own actions, so I believe. I'd like to think that that shifty "High School Student from York-region" hadn't placed an indomitable curse on me, including me in her conga line of interpersonal appreciation. Fact of the matter is, she didn't. I'd like to view this as more of a gift that gives me an opportunity to do something good for myself. And that, loyal readers, is how you should view any problem in life, as an opportunity to better yourselves and the lot of us. I'm ninety-nine percent certain that I'll never see shifty York-region student again, even if I did, I'd pass by her without a second thought, not remembering who she is or what she did for me. The point is that helping each other can remain anonymous, it doesn't need any recognition. However, if this post does change your life and you're suddenly struck with fame from the heavens, don't forget my name because, remember...karma.





Just kidding.

-BLOG OUT-

No comments:

Post a Comment