Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Strangest Thing

This is the most amount of blogging I've ever done in a single day but I had to write this down somewhere before the memory escaped me. Last night I had a dream that there was a sort of A/V club type competition going on in a room at my Blockbuster. Dozens and dozens of people attended this thing. I was a participant and my project involved animating a toy Optimus Prime. So in my dream I sat there embedded in the crowd with my animation team watching the other videos which sucked hard. Then our video airs on the projection screen and the lights go down.
You know those dreams where everything is going so well you wish you never woke up? This was that.
I know it's not typical to remember most of any dream but this just stood out so much I couldn't forget it. So the video begins with Optimus moving along a tabletop in truck form, just basic amateur stop motion. Then some hardcore music splices in and he transforms, no wires nothing, and he starts breakdancing to the beat. The crowd stand up and starts cheering madly, the livliest reaction to any video shown at the competition. All the while my team and I are sitting there watching them enjoy it and just laughing at this popularity. It's funny I should dream about such success, maybe it's because I want it so bad.
I've seen a stop motion animator whose work I admire on youtube. His name is Patrick Boivan and his youtube profile under his own name has jet-propelled him into stardom. The Optimus Prime video I made in my dream reflected his technique and originality a lot. In fact, on youtube, he has more than one video of the autobots transforming and fighting. The video in my dream also had those comic elements that are best described as "sudden" and "unexpected" like in Jan Svankmajer's early stop motion shorts (Svankmajer is the God of that shit and his videos from the eighties are also on youtube).
Anyhow I felt this had to be blogged. For the longest time I used to have dreams about the end of the world, post-apocalyptic terrains that I'd scale all alone but for my weapon of choice hanging on my back, scenarios I was happy with because no one else was around and I could do anything I wanted. And everyone that knows me well knew that I loved those dreams, especially the ones with vicious, speedy zombies chasing me, feeding my hibernating mind with imaginative adrenaline. I don't have those dreams anymore and I know why. My whole mindset has changed. Suddenly I'm not so careless about the fate of mankind, but rather, I've been convinced somewhere along the line that I can change it. This latest dream gave me a new kind of adrenaline rush, a better one. To demonstrate, it's kind of like in the Pixar film Monster, Inc. when the monsters discover laughter is ten times more powerful than fear.
I think whatever line of work we choose to pursue should not only reflect our interests and talents but should be an attempt, no matter how seemingly insignificant, to change the world.
And that thing they call immortality, it's not being able to live forever. That's the misunderstood definition of it. Living forever is the last thing I'd ever want, that's the real nightmare. Immortality is rather the idea of being remembered forever for things you've done or are about to do. How is it that I've admired Alfred Hitchcock even though he died seven years before I even existed? It's not the tangible evidence of our work that will traverse the eternal clock but rather the memory of us. People should be able to write about your person. Your achievements, your attempts, other qualities you demonstrated that proved hope is apprehensible.
I've learned that no matter what you do, if you're really passionate about bringing change to the world, never take away someone's hope, it's worse than driving into them with a four-by-four. Even if you choose that you're not the one to change the world, please just let them do it. I know that if I am the one to open the eyes of the planet's population and if they write about me, I'd want them to mention my people. My generals on the battlefield. My family, my lovers, my archenemies and their involvement with me.
It's the craziest thing, you know? I'm thinking so far ahead, yet I'm still in the year 2009. The Mayan calendar is supposed to end in December of 2012 and bring about the end of the world, like it did the first time around. I know it looks like it did the first time around, but I believe whatever divine force is at work here won't let the humans go that easily. There is just too much that we represent as a six-billion person body to be rid of with cross-continental disasters in three and a half years from now. I believe whoever is up there just loves us too much. Apparently, the second coming of Christ was highly anticipated to have occured at the end of the last y2K-happy millenia, the year 1999. LOL don't worry people, we're not going anywhere, there's too many good people that that high divine force will feel too guilty to destroy. Filmmakers, architects, engineers, lawyers, stock brokers, investors, writers, doctors, whatever...this is the time of all times to heal a bruised planet. Don't let one experience cloud your judgment of the rest of us, now let's join hands like fags and work together here. It is our responsibility to complete an unfinished project.
Wow, all this came from a four-minute dream.

-BLOG OUT-

No comments:

Post a Comment