Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Who is that guy?"

So as some of you may know, I was granted VIP reservations at Six Degrees nightclub by the artist performing there right now. The loyal readers may remember him from one of my recent blogs, Barry Szeto, the up-and-coming R and B artist who asked me for my name and got me privileged booths and bottle service (and lowered entry fee) at the club. Performance was off the hook. The club itself was live. Pradip and Abdi and I went around taking pictures of everyone there. We approached the first group of women and asked for a picture. They looked at my SLR camera and presumed it was for the Unity Group site (a media group that showcases Toronto's nightlife) so they agreed and said yes. Then they asked me for my card. Shit, I don't have a card, I thought. I patted my pockets and told them I was all out but that they could add me on facebook and grab the pics off there. Abdi and I approached another group of six and asked them for a group photo. They asked whether it was for the club promotion, at which point Abdi and I looked at each other smoothly before answering, "Uhh...yeah." All in all it was fun masking our amateur talents and posing as pros. I realized nightclub photography is a vibrant side-job and I could make some good money off of it. I have the appropriate photography tools so why not?
What's more is after the club I received over twenty photo requests over a span of two days from people at the club. This included the other photographers and various hot girls I took pics of. I'm glad facebook exists, it allows for easy exposure. I was honoured to see that the founder of Unity Group added me and tagged my photos. He also asked for my email, apparently he likes me pictures, which actually were basic and just-for-fun. But hey, if they think this is good, imagine how thrilled they'll be when I actually try and when I get my flash diffuser off ebay.
The pictures are on facebook for those who want to see, check out the VIP at Six Degrees album on my profile.
Yeah that's an expensive-ass authentic Cuban in my hand I got as a gift.

The next morning I woke up and I thought back to the night before and I thought about much power I had. I was surprised at the number of people I impressed that night, and the people that made an impression on me. When I think back to it, I was a pretty important figure, and hell yeah I'm proud of that. A year ago I'd have never thought I'd be where I am now, it's a bloody good feeling. Believe me I have my share of problems. If you think you have problems, you don't know half the shit I have to deal with. And unless you've been hit by a train, I can promise you your problems are incomparable. I just hide it well :P.
I was talking to my baby cousin Shivani last night and we were talking about her new friends at Kindergarten and the new playhouse her parents bought her. Then when we were saying goodbye I told her I was going to buy her a big car when she grows up. She didn't fully comprehend what I meant but she answered, "Okay...I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment