Sunday, July 12, 2009

RIP Geetesh Singh

There was a tragic crash on the DVP last week which claimed the lives of two youth, one particularly important. Geetesh Singh, who was a friend of my friends, was pronounced dead at the scene, his body had been ejected from the vehicle through the windshield. His friend, Adam, who was the driver, was also instantly killed. A third passenger is in critical condition. The relationship I had with Geetesh was a customer-representative one. Abdi, who was very close to him, showed me his reggae and soca music videos on youtube and I personally thought it was an honour meeting him. His videos were uniquely hilarious and it created a lasting impression on me. I couldn't find it after his passing, maybe it was kindly taken down, but the videos were of Geetesh recording himself in his room, singing and waving a trinidadian flag to his favourite soca/reggae/hip hop beats. I can't remember why I had gone to futureshop that day, but I remember Geetesh. I knew him through his videos but he didn't know me. So the whole time he was helping me as a representative find some electronic I was looking for, I was laughing in my head at the comic videos his presence was generating. I didn't know much about him but from the only time I met him he seemed like a great guy. I noticed he smiled a lot and he didn't seem like the type of person to get easily angry. He had a calm demeanour which I doubt was a false facade he put on as a requirement of his position at futureshop, but rather a reflection of his own attributes. Abdi knew him because he was his coworker, Nazeem knew him because they were classmates at Ryerson. A lot of people on facebook are mourning the loss of him and I can only show my support.

Rest In Peace, Brother.


Abdi went to the viewing on Friday and came to my place afterwards. He and his family were Hindu's so the body was to be cremated. I asked Abdi why he didn't stay for the whole service and told me, "I don't want to see my boy's body get burned yo, how can his family sit through that?" Geetesh's passing has got me thinking how valued life should be to everyone. Geetesh was apparently a very intelligent guy, and you know the saying, humour reflects intelligence. Geetesh was definitely a prime example of this. He was also a university student and a student of karate. He once coined a philosophy saying, "If all else fails in life, open a roti stand." It's a shame that such a precious life was taken and it makes me question God with the word Why.

1 comment:

  1. GEETISH SINGH! THE ROTI KING
    WAS THE TITLE HE HAD ON MY FACEBOOK GROUP (ALL FAILS IN LIFE JOIN A ROTI STAND)..
    OMG! I JUST FOUND OUT NOW HE PASSED AWAY FROM THIS

    he even had a jersey called -roti king

    ReplyDelete